Skip to Secondary Navigation Skip to Main Content

Current Beehive

JordanChange

Bug Bites and Bee Stings

Most of the time, a bug bite or a bee sting can be treated at home.
 
If you're stung by a bee or bitten by a bug:
  • Scrape the stinger out with a fingernail or an ATM card. Don't use tweezers - this squeezes more venom into the sting. If the stinger is under your skin, leave it there. It will work its way out after a few days. 
  • Put ice or a cold wet cloth on a bug bite or bee sting to stop it from swelling and to relieve pain. 
  • Put a mixture of water and baking soda on the sting to relieve pain. 
  • Take an aspirin or painkiller if it hurts. Take an antihistamine like Benadryl if it itches. 
If you're allergic to bugs or bees:
You may need to see a doctor. If you're allergic, always keep your emergency medicine with you. If you don't know if you're allergic, watch out for symptoms of shock:
  • Hives (bumps or red splotches) all over your body 
  • Shortness of breath 
  • Swollen or puffy eyes 
  • Stomach pains 
You should call the doctor if:
  • You've been bitten by a scorpion, black widow spider, or brown recluse spider. 
  • You have a rash that's ring-shaped or looks like a "bull's eye" and you have flu-like symptoms. These are signs of Lyme disease, a very serious illness that's spread by ticks. 
  • The day after being stung or bitten, you have a fever or redness, swelling, or pus coming from the bite or sting.
 
5
Average: 5 (1 vote)
Your rating: None